My Remembrance of Quijano de Manila




Well, let me tell you this; there's so many things written or people writing about him: some, too fancy or academical, some really quite a bore. Let me get it straight...He likes Cole Porter, practically anything that is Porter. Right from the first bar, he'll start swinging his hands like a maestro conducting a big band. Now, why do I know that? Well, I should know...I played in front of him many times, and I love the way he asked for his favorite tune...He'll raise one hand to catch your attention, points his finger at you, and will quickly say....."Cole Porter!" Now that is style.... the man simply got it.

I never approached him, and he never came near us. But when he is in the hotel lobby, he would gaze around to find me. Then that great nod. I knew then my evening would be a swing. No! When he's there, I won't start my set with his Porter. No...no. I will wait for him to tell me. He has his rituals. He must have his San Mig first. He must have the right conversation, whoever his companions are. Let the night and the mood rolls first. Then I would know when the right moment comes when his hand is raised and his finger pointing at me. Always that name, always that approached....."Cole Porter!" No other words, no other remarks...nothing, not even a few pesos for a tip. He would leave as he came. Always with that nod. No thank yous no goodbyes... Only that nod.

When I heard the passing of this man who loves Cole Porter, I dedicated one set of my three-set performance at Sulo Hotel only of Porter. My pianist was shocked and was somehow bored. That night I asked a waiter to bring me a bottle of San Mig. To this, he asked me why I changed my drinks. So I told this wondering waiter."No change in glasses! Maybe I just don't want to forget".






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Father Francisco de Paula Sanchez: Rizal's Batman

Jose Rizal's Bomb Plot

Rizal's favorite- "THE COUNT OF MONTE-CRISTO"